Friday, March 11, 2011

Forgive Me Father, For I Have Sinned

I love the story of the Prodigal Son in the Book of Luke.  As with all of Jesus' parables, many lessons can be drawn.  We all know the story, and I am sure we all see the parallel between the earthly father in the story and our real Father in Heaven.  But I don't think this story ever gets old, and most of us find ourselves in the same shoes of the foolish, young son over and over again.  In fact, if we think we don't, we are only deceiving ourselves.  The Bible teaches us that we all sin, all the time. Oh, how many times have we fallen away, just to come back begging for God's mercy?

I love what the father does in the story.  He stops his son's prepared speech in mid-sentence.  His father was so thrilled that his son had come back that he couldn't even wait for him to finish talking before he ordered a celebration.  It gives me tons of comfort to know God is the same way.  We just can not out-sin the forgiving blood of Jesus Christ...Amen!  So, no matter what we have done and no matter how many times we have done it, God still rushes to embrace us and forgive.  Is there really any Power greater than that?

 Luke 15:22 says, "But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate."

Father, How incredibly Great You are!  Forgive me of all my trespasses and teach me to also forgive others.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment