Wednesday, February 17, 2010

If It Weren't For Bad Luck...


Do you remember that Hee Haw song, "Gloom, Despair, and Agony On Me"? That song still cracks me up when I hear it. I can't help but to sing right along with it. I love the line, "If It Weren't For Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All." We can all relate to that can't we? Bad luck just seems to be par for the course. I remember once in the summer of 1996 I had a string of bad luck that I will never forget. If I was faced with two choices, one good and one bad, I would get blindsided by a choice I never even considered...and it was far worse than the bad one. It is almost funny now looking back on it. I did survive. I try to remember that when a string of bad luck pops up, the law of averages will eventually swing some good luck my way.


As a Christian, I have to wonder if "bad luck" is really all that bad. We know that God will never put more on us than we can handle. We also know that He is completely aware of every single thing that will happen to us. So if He allows it to happen, and God can be nothing but good, is it really bad luck at all? It sure seems like it. But God can do and see what we can't. That is, look at the big picture for our lives. For all we know, that seemingly bad luck we are getting might be just exactly what the good Lord knows that we need for some special job He has planned for us. I wish I could be more like Job. He was a perfect example of bad luck. But not only did he accept it, he also praised God through it. Was that luck? No way! God knew exactly what He was doing. Now don't get me wrong. I am not going to beg God for bad luck. But if I keep in mind that it is all for some bigger purpose that He has in store for me, I can at least struggle through it. I will NEVER give up on my Jesus, bad luck or not!


Nahum 1:7 says, "The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him."


Oh Lord, How Great Thou Art! Please help us when we get struck with bad "luck". Help us to remember that though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, You are still right there walking with us. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I just believe.... whats meant to happen will... and whats not.... will not.I believe we shouldnt question gods word. He continually tells us that we need to have faith and trust in him 100% and never doubt. Thats where our salvation lies ... Faith. We can try to prove things and question things in the bible until we die and we will have missed out on the love, happiness and miracles he has had saved up for us hear on earth.Proving Gods existence will last to infinity and so will God.

    ReplyDelete