Thursday, February 25, 2010

The True Power


I have a special request: Please pray for my students at Dothan High School who will be taking the Alabama High School Graduation Exam next week. In order to graduate, these students must pass this test. There is an alarming trend in education today of students not passing. I am sure we all have our personal opinions of why this is occurring, but none the less, we have to keep striving to overcome those barriers. What I truly want to tell the students, which I believe with all my heart will help them the most, I can't...or maybe I should say, "I'm not allowed". I want to tell them to not look deep inside themselves, but rather, look deep inside Jesus. Jesus is the only true source we have for lasting power. I have been teaching for 16 years, but I still pray before every single class and ask God to show me exactly what to do to get the most out of my students. I can't do it without Him, even if I had 30 years of teaching experience.


I did mention in my classroom today that I would be holding a special prayer meeting Sunday night where I will be praying for one hour solid, asking God to be with those students while they take the Exams. I will use that one prayer to call every single name out to God, even those students that I don't know. My kids seemed stirred by my interest in their success. By Break, it had gotten around to a couple of teachers what I had said in class. One of my fellow teachers told me I might be wasting my time because some of these kids are just too far gone. I told her that God rescued me when I was much further gone than they are right now. And if He can save a lieing, cheating, drug-addicted, gossipping, hypocrite like me, He can save anyone! Praise be unto the Father!!


Jesus declared in Mark 9:23, "Anything is possible if you believe."


My Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me these kids. I pray for Your continued guidance as I try to get them ready for their Exams. I KNOW all things are possible with You. You have shown me that first-hand. Be with these precious ones. In Jesus name, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I will be praying for your students!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also have a heart the size of Texas ,so dont forget that too! I will pray for them as well, These kids need someone who will believe in them not cut them down ! Thank God They have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the devotion today especially the last part where you stated
    that "if He can save a lieing, cheating, drug-addicted, gossiping,
    hypocrite like me, He can save anyone!" That is true for all of us ...
    every single one of us has faults and skeletons in our closets that
    others may not know about, but Jesus does and He still loves and
    saves us anyway!! Thank God for that!! And as far as the comments
    from "other teachers", all is not lost ... you are a very caring
    person and wonderful teacher ... you may never know how God
    is using you to reach your students ... even if is just one. Keep
    up the good work and I will pray for all of them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one is too far gone who comes to Jesus and believes ... as anonymous said, every single one of us has faults!! I will be praying for your students, and that the blessings you bestow upon your classroom continue to flow! We need more teachers who care about the students they so greatly influence ... thank you for what you do!

    ReplyDelete