Wednesday, August 19, 2009

To Be Or Not To Be


I enjoy watching the Bio channel on TV. Some of my favorite movie stars and musicians are featured on there, and I enjoy learning more about their lives. What fascinates me is how I can watch a character they portray on TV for years, but then when I see them in an interview, they are a completely different person. I have to remember that on TV, they are only acting. Henry Winkler portrayed the lovable, but rough-around-the-edges Fonzie on Happy Days. But when I see him in interviews, he is so down to earth, humble, and soft-spoken. Then there are those who portray sweet, innocent characters on TV, but in interviews, they are far from that character. It is amazing how these actors can "get into character" so easily. It must take real talent!


But most of us act well too, even without any formal training. How many of us act one way around one group of people, but then completely different around a another group? Think about church for a minute. We all put on those smiling faces, walk around shaking hands, and seem to be super Christian while we are there. But come Monday morning at work, are we the same? We can sure put on a good act can't we? Throughout today, see if you can detect if you change in the way you act around certain people. Then ask yourself, "What would Jesus say if He saw me acting this way?" After all, He always sees how we act.


Matthew 13:43 says, "Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the Kingdom of their father."


Lord, please forgive us for acting in ways that don't please You. Please help us to do a better job of "being ourselves". In Jesus name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. It is truly sad....some people are so different when they think they are not being 'watched' but, God is omnipresent. I'll have to answer for a lot when I stand in judgement - I'm not perfect. Maybe this is the reason why I feel so alone in the world...and heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh. NONE of us are perfect. We will all be standing right there with you on Judgment Day.

    I wish you didn't feel so alone ... we are all sinners, and I can't begin to even remember all of my inconsistencies. Our sin serves an odd purpose sometimes. It can remind us of how much we need Christ and His grace. Please remember how much He wants us to have it.

    ReplyDelete