Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Time


I have a little fact that is sure to make you feel old. Do you remember Macaulay Culkin? He was that little boy in the movie Home Alone. Guess what? He is 29 years old today. 29! Where has all the time gone? Every year, it seems to go by faster and faster. Poets and songwriters alike write about this thing we call time. One song says that it is "flowing like a river to the sea", another says that it keeps on "slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future." My favorite "time" line from a song is, "and all your money, won't another minute buy." Time is a strange thing. We sometimes have too much of it, yet other times, we never seem to have enough. We find ourselves wasting it at times, though oftentimes, we are searching for ways to save it. We have good times and bad times, fast times, and slow times. We get accused of living in past times, or maybe even living in future times. But no mater how we spend our time, God gives us all the same amount of time in each day.


It's not the amount of time that is important, it is how we spend that time that really matters. It is wise to learn from the past and to plan for the future, but we can only live in the now. Of course I am not telling you anything you haven't already heard. But I think I need to keep hearing it. I find myself wishing my life away. I catch myself saying things like, "I wish it was Saturday", or "I wish it was Christmas", or "I wish it was summer break". Time is moving much too fast for me to hurry it along any faster. God did tell us to work here for our future in heaven, but the key is to work for it now. The present is truly a present from God. I know for me, it is high-time I start using it for His Glory!


Proverbs 6:9 says, "But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep? When will you wake up?"


Father, thank you for giving us time. teach us not to waste it, and to use it for Your Glory. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment