Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bam! Pow! Bang!

Like many, I sure do enjoy watching a good college football game on TV.  This past weekend, I saw some of the most fierce, bone-crunching hits on the field that I think I have ever seen before.  You know the ones I am talking about.  The receiver goes out for a pass, gets to the end of his route, and then turns around to find the ball almost already in his arms.  He has great sight on the ball, but unfortunately for him, he is the only one in the entire world that doesn't have sight on the 290-pound defender closing in on his position ready to lower the boom.  And then, BOOM!  A collective "ugh" echos throughout the entire stadium.  But the receiver just bounces right back up and hurries back to his team's huddle, ready to go out for another pass.  How in the world can these guys take such violent hits and still keep going?  I'm told it is through daily exercise, intense training, and an almost inhuman will to play this game called college football.

The rest of us may not play college football on Saturdays, but I think we all know what it feels like to get blind-sided by things in our everyday lives.  Unexpected bills, aggravations at work, arguments with the family, and about a thousand other things stand in the shadows waiting to knock us out cold.  We can't avoid these things, but there is a way to keep them from knocking us out of the game.  We, too must exercise and train everyday.  But our trainers are Jesus Christ and His Holy Word.  When we take up our crosses daily, pray without ceasing, and meditate on His Word continously, we, too are able to bounce right back up and go out for another play.  I am thrilled that the leader of my team is Coach Jesus, and that he gives me an almost inhuman will to play this game called life.

I Corinthians 15:58 says, "Stand firm.  Let nothing move you.  Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

Father, oh how I thank you for helping me back up when things knock me down.  Please help me to train even harder to be more prepared for 290-pound defenders.  In Jesus name, Amen

1 comment:

  1. The devotion below really hit on a personal level.
    A couple of weekends ago, I had to unexpectedly buy some major parts
    for my vehicle ... blind-sided to say the least! Due to that purchase,
    I have had to re-adjust things which does not make me a happy camper!
    When I read the devotion, it was like .... heeeeelllllo! it could have been
    worse ... you could have had an accident ... you could have had no control
    over your vehicle, etc ... etc .... but no, you didn't ... so be thankful for
    what you do have ... I'm clear on that now ... thanks for that devo!!

    ReplyDelete