Friday, November 27, 2009

The Iron Bowl


It is 3:30 am on Friday morning, less than 12 hours away from the kick-off of one of the best college football rivalries in the country. Alabama and Auburn will play its regular-season finale this afternoon. There is a lot on the line for both teams. For Auburn, a win can go a mighty long way in erasing the memory of a couple needless losses this season. For Alabama, a possible trip to the National Championship game. And regardless of each teams' records, beating the other one is just plain fun and exciting! But sadly, some people will take the game way too far.


I wonder if God doesn't put His "prayer line" on hold during the game. In a span of about 3 hours, there is no telling how many fans are cussing God, thanking God, and begging God, almost all at the same time. Most fans do just what they are supposed to do...enjoy the game. But we know there are others that can get pretty nasty because of the game. Fights break out and even marriages end because of the game. My ex-wife was an Auburn fan and I am a Bama fan. We always enjoyed picking on each other during the game. We may be divorced now, but it had absolutely nothing to do with the Alabama/Auburn football game. But some people can't say that. I just wonder what the divorce rate in this state is due to the game. We can all learn a lesson from the players that participate in the game. When it is over, they all go to the middle of the field and shake hands. I have even seen many hugs between players after the game. If the very players that play in the game do this, how much more should we who only watch the game? So, Roll Tide or War Eagle! But more importantly, PRAISE GOD!


Psalm 28:6 says, "Praise be to the Lord always."


Father, help us to remember that the game today is just that...a game. Help the players and coaches to do their very best, and use the outcome of the game as Glory to Your Holy name. In Jesus name, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. "We're divorced now, but it had nothing to do with football..." HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Oh, thanks for the laughs first thing in the morning, Allen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to start out the Iron Bowl! It is just a game. I think God has given us so much to enjoy in this life and FB is one of them.Im glad you brought this up Allen ,Its to be enjoyed not to fight over . By the way.... ROLL TIDE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, that is so true. It is very easy to get caught up in emotions, but it is more important to remember what God's Word says. Plus, these players don't want to kill each other, most of them went to school together and were friends. Thanks for a wonderful post. Many blessings to you!!! Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord, help me to remember it's just a game... I'm going to try to remember that Monday nights when the Saints play the Patriots.

    I do get annoyed with myself when I find myself whisperings prayers over a ball game. I'm sure our Lord has more important prayers to answer, but I can't help myself...I pray for a Saints win on Monday Night.

    Congrats on your Bama win today. It was a good game.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete