Monday, March 30, 2009

Oh No!


I have a startling confession: I've turned into my Dad! I took my daughter to the Mall yesterday to get her a pair of shoes. Well you know 13-year old girls. That pair of shoes just had to include a pack of socks and multi-colored shoe laces as well. I know I have not been to the mall lately, but what in the world has happened to our youth? They dress like freaks, act like freaks, and listen to freaky music. I teach teenagers, but I guess in school they are a little more "civilized". I never realized just how far "out there" they have become. Hopefully, I won't need to go to the mall again anytime soon. I don't belong there. I felt like an old man in a young place. A young, freaky place! I loved my Dad and thought he was a wonderful man. I just didn't plan on turning into him until I was old....older than 41.


As a reflect on my mall trip, two things immediately come to mind. First of all, is today's youth really any different from us than we were from our parents? I can remember the first time I wanted to buy a pair of faded jeans. My grandmother hit the roof! I tried to explain to her that that was just what kids wore these days. Absolutely not! She told me I would have to wear "appropriate" jeans. It's kind of funny to think what she would say about the clothes kids wear today. The second reflection I have is the more important one. God made these kids. He loves them with all His heart. He does not see what they are wearing. He sees what is in their heart. Shouldn't I be doing the same thing? That "judging others" thing seems to keep coming up in my life. Think about who Jesus hung out with when he was on earth. He was always seen with the misfits and outcasts of society. Not that our youth are misfits or outcasts, but I'm pretty sure if Jesus was here today, he would have spend some time at the mall. Sadly, He would probably have to spend just as much time at my house.


Jeremiah 17:10 says, "I, the Lord, search the heart."


Father, thank you for my daughter. Teach me to look past the outside of today's youth, and everyone else for that matter. Teach me to see the true heart. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment