Sunday, September 13, 2009

What A Shocker


I was incredibly shocked this past Friday night! Not that my Dothan Tigers defeated the Opelika Bulldogs for the first time since 1972, not that those same Bulldogs were ranked in the top-10 in the state of Alabama, not that we were trailing by 11 with less than 4 minutes to play in the game, and not even that we had blown an early 1st-quarter 17-to-nothing lead, but because what I was asked to do, and not do, in the Press box. As you know, I am the PA announcer for all home games of the Dothan Tigers and Northview Cougars. Just before kick-off, one of my assistant principals came to the press box with an announcement for me to read during the game. The announcement was promoting a get-together at a local church for the fans after the game. Minutes before I was set to announce it, the principal came back up and told me not to announce it. The announcement did not mention God, praying, or anything religious other than the name of the church. Haven't we taken this "separation of church and state" thing a little too far?


Nowhere in the Constitution does it say "separation of church and state." The ambiguous phrase that is in the Constitution has been interpreted in so many ways, that nobody really knows what to do. My personal two-cents worth is that the phrase in the Constitution assures churches that the State will not make any laws prohibiting their basic religious beliefs. But Friday night, I was faced with somewhat of a delima. I did not see any reason why I couldn't read the announcement, and in my opinion, my rights were being violated. But at the same time, my principal (boss) told me not to read it. I was at an official school event and was under the rules of the school system. I believe God called me to be a teacher, and through Him, I can lead some students to Christ. But I can't do that if I am fired, not that I believe I would have actually been fired. But the Bible does remind us that we must submit to government authorities and obey the laws of the land. In hind-sight, I think I did do the right thing, although I feel like I kind of let God down. I do not blame my assistant principal at all. I think he was not really sure what to do either and just erred on the side of caution. It is amazing that our society has eroded to the point of not being allowed to announce a promo at a high school football game, but our TVs radios, and big screens are full of cussing, sexual immorality, and just down-right nastiness. God help us!


I Thessalonians 5: 21-22 says, "Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil."


Father, please help us to navigate through this sinful world. We need You now more than ever. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I whole heartedly agree with you on this.I remember when I went to Dothan High School there was an organization there that was called Fellowship of Christian Athletes. It included mostly football players but I was in it because I ran track for Dothan High. There was always prayer at the games, and meets before and after. We always made sure that it happened.Prayer was encouraged by faculty. I am saddened at the fact that it does not exist any more . I remember bringing my bible to school and reading it in study hall after I had completed what I wanted to complete. I was saved at 17 and devoutley worshiped my father. I encouraged my friends to go to church with me and spoke often of the change that he had made in me, freely. There were no issues . But now its a different world.It's not right, but we all know the bible said that this time would come when Jesus would be denied before all men . And I was so hoping that it would not happen in my life time .... but its here . You should not feel bad and feel like you let God down. God also said that he knows every thought in the mind and every word in the heart and he knows where your heart is on what happened . We just cant let it bring us down . You can best believe that on my desk at work sits my bible and I read it daily at work when things are slow, I also read books on faith and so far my boss has never said one word to me about it. And for that I thank God.

    ReplyDelete