Friday, September 11, 2009

Memories




Every time I hear the song Precious Memories, I think about a funeral. It seems to be the only place I ever hear that song. Everybody has memories of people, places, and things. Some of those memories are precious, but there are also some memories that are heart-breaking. They seem to well-up from deep inside our hearts more and more the closer we get to the anniversary of the tragic event. At this very minute, my family is beginning their yearly trek to our reunion in Central Florida. But I am not going. Sadly, I will be the only one not attending. My reasons are very selfish, I admit. But my memories of last year's reunion continue to haunt me...even a full-year later. It is nothing my family has done; They are incredible! But for some unknown reason, this past year's memories continue to bring huge tears to my eyes. My heart breaks all over again just about every other day.


Again, I know I am being selfish, but sometimes we can all be that way, right? But no matter how sad my memories from the past may be, and no matter how much they may still effect me today, I will never give up hope that God has it all under control. Isn't that what genuine faith is all about? In the midst of heartache and tears, I still totally believe in His ultimate plan for my life. Now I know I am no different than anyone else; We all have some bad memories that haunt us. The key is that we can't let those bad memories block us from trying to make new, better ones. I admit it has not happened for me yet, and I can honestly say it will be a long, long time before it does. But thanks to the strength that God has given me, I will keep plugging away.


Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."


Lord, please forgive me for being so selfish at this time. I admit I am still having a year-long pity party, but You know I am trying my very best. Please be with all those who may be dealing with some sad memories. In Jesus name, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. i know the feeling i to had some very bad things from last year but also some good things has happen since then i prayed and god granted me my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always remember that God will never put more on you than you are able to handle, I 100 % believe this as I too have had some terrible memories to deal with but you have to realize that good memories cannot replace the bad ones if you wallow in self pity. Those bad memories should also be a learning experience to self evaluate to better yourself to create new memories of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what the 2nd comment states , you are never gonna be able to have the new memories whithout coming to terms with the bad ones. Face them , talk about them , learn from them but dont live within them , Satan is binding you , he wants you to feel sorry for yourself and continue to not let go . Move forward and watch those memories take their place in your life on the shelf. They will always be there but thats all they will be is memories. If the memories involve a loved one Holding on to them daily and not moving on is not going to bring them back to you or from death. Just remember, things happen for a reason and when you lose something that means that god had something better waiting for you right around the corner. Memories are wonderful weather good or bad because they represent the story of our life. Hang in there theres more wonderful things to come for you.

    ReplyDelete