Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wash Me


Have you ever seen those dusty cars in which some joker writes "wash me" on on the side of it? Well somebody did that to my truck today. I have to admit my truck is quite dusty, and with it being black in color, it really shows. So I guess I need to wash it, and a good wax job wouldn't hurt either. Reading that "wash me" on the side of my truck today reminded me of when Jesus washed His disciples' feet. Washing others feet in those days was reserved for the lowliest servants, so they were shocked when Jesus wanted to wash theirs. Peter even spoke up and told Jesus that he would never allow Him to wash his feet. In Peter's eyes, Jesus was "too good" to ever stoop to such a lowly thing. But Jesus responded, "If I do not wash you, then you have no part with me."


Obviously Jesus was setting a good example that we can follow today. We are to serve each other. None of us are any better than anyone else, and nothing should be "beneath" us when it comes to doing or caring for others. But Jesus' words also go much deeper. If Jesus does not wash us (cleanse us from sins), then we can't have any part with Him (be saved and receive eternal life). It is only through the washing of Jesus' blood that we can truly be cleansed from all sin and receive eternal life! Our response to that should be exactly as Peter's response was to Jesus: "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!"


Ephesians 1:7 says, "In Jesus, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's Grace."


Father, wash all of me! Help me to serve others and to tell them about Your free gift of Salvation. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment