Wednesday, March 10, 2010

You Rang?


March 10, 1876- Alexander Graham Bell made the first successful call with the telephone. He spoke the words "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you". Since then, telephones have come a long way. Once crank-style and rotary dial, now practically all phones have digital numerals. Only recently have phones come in various shapes and colors. I wonder if Mr. Bell ever envisioned cell phones? I can still remember the first car-phone I ever saw. I was living on Chincoteague Island in Virginia, and our neighbor had one in his 1974 Ford Maverick. When he had a call coming in, the car horn would beep until he answered it. I used to think he must be the richest man in the world to actually have a phone in his car. I was always puzzled, though, where he kept the phone lines.


I don't think any of us could imagine the world now without telephones, especially cell phones. It is amazing to me how one can send a text message with the simple push of a few buttons. In fact, I could write this devotion from my cell phone. Simply amazing! Although phone technology has exploded since Bell, it is still light years away from the speed and effectiveness of prayer. It doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing, you can dial up Jesus just by thinking it. One simple thought can get God and His angels dispatched to you faster than 911 can summon an ambulance. Prayer is one of the most important things we can do as Christians. Prayer is our life-line to heaven. And to pray, we don't even have to take the time to bow our head or close our eyes. I have just recently discovered the importance of prayer. I mean, I knew it was important, but recently I feel like my prayers to God are more personal and less generic. I pray many times throughout the day and night, because it helps me in my heart. Try to increase your number of prayers today. See just how much better you will feel. God's line is never busy or out of order. You never run up your "minutes" when you call Him; It's a free call. Jesus picks up His phone on the very first ring, and He doesn't need Caller ID! Have you given Christ a ring today?


Psalm 55:17 says, "Morning, noon, and night, I pray to God, and He hears my voice."


Father, thank you for prayer. Teach us how to do it more often and more effectively. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, seems you and I were somewhat on the same wave length with our posting subjects today!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete