Thursday, June 10, 2010

Spin That Ball


Although I have seen them on TV a thousand times, I still enjoy watching the Harlem Globetrotters every time they come on. In fact, I watched them yesterday. These guys are not only the most talented basketball players in the world, they are also just down-right entertaining! I am amazed at their level of athleticism and dedication to perfecting their craft. Yesterday, I watched their leader, Special K, spin the ball on his finger for over 30 seconds. Not only on his finger, but also on his head, his knee, his back, and his foot. Amazing!


As I watched him, I thought about God holding our spinning world on his finger. One can't help but to watch the News on TV today and get the sense that our world is all but spinning out of control. Earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, and more seem to be increasing all around our globe at an alarming rate. It is like "Mother Nature" has gone postal. But we have to remember that our precious and all-powerful God still has the world under His control. He made this world, and He controls this world. And even though God's Word warns that things will only get worse before they get better, we should not fear. God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of strength. That strength comes from God's Son Jesus Christ! But we are only human, so fear and worry is a part of our lives, especially in the face of tragedy. But we can draw on Jesus for His perfect strength anytime we feel the need. Remember, He holds this spinning world on His finger. We can think of Him as being the leader of the "Heaven Globetrotters"! Now that is one show I would love to see!


Isaiah 41:10 says, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."


Father, thank-you for creating this world and for giving us the strength to live in it. Help us to remember that no matter how rough things may get in our lives, that You are right there protecting us. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment