Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Moving Past Sin, Part 1


I know my view on sin is not the only view in the world, even among Christians. Different views and interpretations of the Bible are some of the main reasons there are so many different denominations in Christianity today. My view on sin may sound too easy. I agree it sounds too easy to me also, but I think that the alternative is impossible. My view on sin is once a person has accepted Christ as Savior, NO sin, past, present, or future can undo what Christ did on the Cross. That means that NO sin can take away your Salvation and eternal life. Further, I don't believe you have to be baptized, go to church, tithe, ask for forgiveness of your sins anymore, do good works, or anything else other than accept Him once and for all. Yes, I know it sounds too easy, and many people don't have this interpretation of the Bible. Although there are many verses that back up what I am saying, I only give you one piece of "evidence": The thief on the Cross.


Both Matthew and Luke report that the two robbers crucified along with Jesus mocked Him. But Luke gives more detail about what happened. One of the thieves simply asked Jesus for one thing. He said, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your Kingdom." In its simplest form, that one statement is the robber's profession of faith that Jesus was indeed the Son of God. That one statement is proof that the robber called upon the name of the Lord. The thief was not baptised, had not tithed, probably had not done anything good his whole life, and not once did he ask for forgiveness. What was Jesus' response? "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise." This seems to also back up the most famous verse in all the Bible: John 3:16 "...for whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." No other conditions were given. Other verses that support this idea are Romans 8:1-2, Titus 3:5, and Ephesians 2:8-9. Yes I realize there are some verses that seem to "contradict" these. But it is my conviction that Salvation is totally based on trusting in Christ as our Savior. Should we confess sins? Should we tithe? Should we do good works? Should we go to church? The answer to all these questions is yes, and tomorrow, I will share with you why I think those things are important. But those things are NOT necessary for Salvation.


Father, thank you for loving us so much to send Jesus to die in our place. Help us to always strive to do the things that please You. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment