Monday, July 20, 2009

Relentless Storms


First of all, I owe you an apology. The night I wrote the devotion about my friend Mike taking his life, I inadvertently left off the first line that it was about him and NOT about me. I sincerely do apologize. I wrote that devotion from what I felt was his point of view...a view of complete despair and emptiness. Let me say this right now: I will never, ever take my own life! I have to admit that the past few months have been the hardest in my life, and a new problem that is equally as bad has popped up in the last day. And although I am having some bouts with sadness and maybe even depression, I promise that suicide has not, and will not cross my mind!! Now, on with the devotion.


The votes are in on my poll "In your opinion, do you believe if a Christian commits suicide, will they still go to heaven? Over 80% of those responding either said "no" or "I don't know". I guess it is a pretty hard question that the Bible does not directly address. My opinion is that "yes" they will still go to heaven. If you believe that they won't go to heaven, then consider this. To God, all sin is equally bad. So if you believe they will go to hell because they did not ask for forgiveness, then we are all in serious trouble. That would mean if there was ANY unconfessed sin in your life at the moment of your death, you would lose your Salvation. Given that the Bible says we all sin, then the odds are definitely stacked against us. As a matter of fact, I imagine we all have some unconfessed sin at this very moment. I agree this is a difficult subject that has been debated forever. But the more I learn about the heart of God and His Son Jesus, the more I doubt any sin is going to terminate what He did for us on the Cross. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But it is also my honest feeling.


Nehemiah 9:17 says, "You are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love."


Father, I praise Your holy name, no matter what personal tragedies I am facing. I will never stop telling people about your saving grace. In Jesus name, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Allen,
    Sorry for your loss of friends.
    I believe the view you state here is correct. To me the Bible clearly teaches that once you are saved, you belong to Him, and that no one can take you from Him. I know all about the difficult passages of scripture (like John 15 the vine and branches) and the reason people, I believe, improperly say you can be cut off (loss of salvation). But, when you weigh in the whole of scripture ... I believe it is overwhelmingly clear that you can pay a serious price for any form of disobedience ... but you are still a child of God. Why is it Christians are often the most miserable people alive? Perhaps, because they are out of fellowship and being chastened.
    The real crux to me is exactly what you stated. Scripture talks about blasphemy as being the "unforgivable sin". There is no verse that can be found that says "Oh yeah, and another thing, this is important, don't forget this ... don't commit suicide."
    There is too loose a interpretation. Some of these ideas and teachings are found in the Catholic faith. Some Catholics believe you can't murder and go to heaven. Some Catholics believe you can't have an abortion and go to heaven. I know some Christians who think you can't smoke or drink and go to heaven.
    But, there is an authority issue. With what authority is this being taught? Tradition is what we are told.
    All that said ... Jesus death and resurrection is supposed to be able to save us from all our sin. To me, to say everything but suicide (or murder) ... diminishes His death. Suicide is probably the result of mental illness. Jesus was clearly able to save someone from mental illness when they could not save themselves.
    I may be in the minority here. But I just so believe His mercy and grace so thoroughly cover us from the weaknesses of the flesh. That doesn't to believe it.
    NikonSniper Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al,

    I'm quite glad that the bible doesn't directly address issues like these.

    I don't think the people who put the bible together wanted it to be a legalistic set of rules - defining how much we can 'get away with' before surrending our entry-pass to heaven (other wise they could have got the pharisees to write it ;)

    I see the bible (particularly the gospels) as an example of what is ideal. Our job is to get as close to that as we can.

    In John 21, Peter asks an obscure question, and Jesus tells him to mind his own business, and "as for you, follow me". Perhaps that is the bible's message on the subject - to quit trying to set-up a contract with God, but instead just focus on following Jesus.

    david

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I spent all my days worrying over everyone else's salvation, I'd be a miserable soul. (Not to say that I still don't worry to some extent.) I leave my worries in God's hands and as David said in the last comment, I follow God's word as an "example of what is ideal." The idea is to be as Christ-like as we humanly can. No one really knows what happens after we die!! Maybe we still have an opportunity between death and eternity, to answer for our sins and/or accept Christ's gift.

    ReplyDelete