Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Is That Jesus?


A few years ago, I went to play basketball at a friend's house. There were three of us playing in his driveway. I wish you could have seen us: 3 big, fat white guys trying not to get hurt! After playing for a few minutes, it was break time! I was in serious need of some oxygen. Looking around, I could not find any. But what I did find was a beautiful little girl on the front porch. It was the young daughter of the man who lived at the house. I walked up to her, stroked her hair, and said, "You sure are a very pretty little girl." I then walked away. Because of my full beard, blue eyes, and the fact that I was nice to her, she assumed I was someone special. She turned to her Dad and asked, "Is that Jesus?" What a compliment!

I have never forgotten her remark. But thinking back on it this morning, It hit me in a different light. The Bible teaches us that we should strive to be like Jesus. Of course we can never be just like Him. In fact, we can't even get close! But by trying very hard to be like Him, we will certainly become a much better person, and in the process, allow Christ to shine through us. It's kind of like playing basketball or any other sport. We strive to be perfect at our skills. We know we can't be perfect, but that should never be an excuse to not try. Are you striving to be more like Jesus Christ? I am going to put forth my best effort today.

Matthew 5:16 says, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Father, please teach me how to be more like You. If it be Your will, please shine through me to bring glory to Yourself. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment