Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hammering Hank


On April 23, 1954, Henry "Hank" Aaron hit his very first Major League home run. The shot came off of cardinal pitcher Vic Raschi. Aaron, a Mobile, Alabama native, went on to hit 755 home runs, a record that stood for 31 years. Aaron reached many milestones in his baseball career, but we will mostly remember his home run feat. He averaged an amazing 34 home runs per year! But they all came in the same way-one at a time.


Following Christ is not an instantaneous thing; It is like a career. We can't expect to break a lot of Christian records the minute we become saved. It takes time. We must read the Bible, pray, go to Church, and fellowship with other Christians. We do these little things one at a time. As we progress through our Christian life step-by-step, God reveals more and more things about Himself to us. As we study His Word and grow spiritually, we become better witnesses for Him. I believe we were put on this earth for one purpose: To share the Good News about Christ with others. I like to think of Jesus saving someone through my testimony as hitting a spiritual home run. My goal is the surpass Aaron's mark of 755. In order to do that, I must remain focused on the Lord and think about saving just one person at a time. With Jesus' help, maybe I can become Hammerin' Al.


2 Chronicles 15:7 says, "Be ye strong therefore, and let not your hands be weak: for your work shall be rewarded."


Father, if it be Your will, use me today to witness to somebody in need. I want to hit as many home runs for You as I can. In Jesus name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said!

    Sometimes our faith, and Christianity in general, can seem overwhelming. The mere prospect of reading the Bible can feel daunting to some of us.

    But you're right: If we break it down and build our faith block by block, it becomes more like a progressive pilgrimage. I like that notion a lot. I'd not thought of it from that perspective.

    As always, thank you for your insight.

    ReplyDelete