Thursday, October 1, 2009

Want Fries With That?


Things have really changed. I can remember going to fast-food drive-thrus to place orders, and they would come on the speaker and ask, "Welcome to so-in-so, may I take your order?" Today, it is much more complicated. Now they come on and ask, "Welcome to so-in-so, would you like to try our new blah blah blah ba blah blah blah?" Gosh, now I forgot what I was going to order. Just the other day, the poor lady had so much to say in her greeting that she actually messed up twice! You just can't help but laugh.


How many times do our prayers simply become placing an order with God instead of a genuine, heart-felt talk with Him? It's almost like we expect God to come on and say, "Welcome to Heaven, would you like to win the lottery today or get a brand-new car?" I know I am guilty of treating God as an order-taker instead of respecting Him as my God. He is not Santa. He is the Creator of the universe, and He wants to have a real relationship with each one of us. There is nothing wrong with asking God for things, in fact, the Bible teaches us how to do that very thing. But we really miss the point of prayer if we focus on the gifts rather than the Giver. I actually had a dream one night where I was asking God for things like He was a worker at McDonald's. And no joke, in my dream, He replied, "Want fries with that, too." I can still remember feeling embarrassed and ashamed of myself.


Romans 8:26 says, "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."


Father, teach us to pray in a way that will truly get Your attention. Forgive us when we treat You like an order-taker. In Jesus name, Amen.

5 comments:

  1. God wants us to talk to him from the time we wake until we sleep, in the car , in the kitchen , at work ect... He is our "Life Partner".The bible says that the way to heaven is to have a "personal relationship" with God through his son Jesus Christ. Praying to him not just for things or having our way but praying for others, and their happiness. Even if its to say Please god protect my child today as they venture out in the world and learn today . Simple things . He knows already the desires of your heart... I loved this devotional because you are sooo on the money about this. Excellent example Allen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post!!! I am so guilty of doing that and I have really been trying to make sure my prayers are coming from my heart and not my list of things I want. How is the snake bite healing? hope you have a blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love the whole analogy! Funny though...this has nothing to do with this post...but when I get a telemarketer on the phone who keeps going and going and going...I will say..."Do you want fries with that?" And then they are so taken back they either hang up on me, stop talking, or laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really hits close to home, Allen. Thank you for posting it and for reminding us that there's a difference between earnest prayer and rattling off a laundry list of our wants.

    On some planes, prayer seems simple. A direct line of communication between us and the Lord. I struggle with it, though, and find it very complex. When I pray, I constantly edit myself ("No, don't ask for that ... how selfish!") and often wind up praying much too generally.

    There's got to be a balance, but I believe it must be a very delicate one. I know I have yet to achieve it. Thank you for such a valuable lesson.

    ReplyDelete