Monday, June 29, 2009

Supplements


I used to lift weights in the gym almost everyday, especially in my 20's. I was not a body-builder, but I did envy those guys. I bulked up and got stronger. But, I wanted more. I asked a trainer about what kind of supplements I could take that would help me. He suggested several types of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, etc. But He also told me something that I have never forgotten. He said I could take every single supplement in the world, but none of them would help a single bit unless I worked out hard everyday. Those supplements were just that, supplements. But the true benefit came from lifting the weights.


I was reminded of that last night as I strolled down the Bible isle at Books a Million. There were literally 12 shelves slammed full of Bible self-help books. I was overwhelmed. I am sure that most of those books are good ones and can help us to understand the Bible and Christian living a little bit better. But like my trainer told me, all the supplements in the world are not going to help unless you do the real thing: read the Bible. Supplements are good if we just keep in mind that they are supplements only. Nothing can ever take the place of God's Word. Read it, study it, and live it, and you will surely "bulk" up in Christ.


Psalm 119:160 says, "All Your words are true."


Father, help us to remember that although You can speak to us through other books, that Your Holy Bible is still our best source for Your perfect words. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment