Wednesday, February 11, 2009

None Of The Above


My students love it when I give them a multiple-choice test. They seem to take a little comfort in the fact that the correct answer is right there in front of them, and all they have to do is choose it. What they don't like is when one of those choices is none of the above. They tell me none of the above choices causes them to second guess themselves. I have to agree that when i was in school, none of the above choices were pretty distracting. But when it comes to praying to God and asking Him for things, we should always include a none of the above choice.




From the time we are born, we are bounded by certain limits. "Don't touch that". "Don't go there". "Be home by 9". Even after we mature into adults, we are still bounded by limits. In fact, knowing our limits is a result of maturity. But although we are trapped by limits, God certainly is not! When I pray, I sometimes give Him a few choices and ask Him to lead me to the right one. But by doing that, I am forcing limits on a limit-less God. Instead of my choices, He may have a totally different plan for me that I have never even thought about. By giving God a none of the above choice, I am opening my life and heart up to His limitless possibilities and power. Why would we want to restrict ourselves and simply settle for what we think is best when our all-knowing Heavenly Father could have a better plan?


Psalm 48:14 says, "For this God is our God forever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death."


Father, forgive me for limiting You power for my life. You know my heart's desire. I accept that it may not be Your heart's desire. I pray for Yours instead of mine. Lead me to where you want me to go. In Jesus name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment