Monday, April 13, 2009

"I Question If there Is A God"


I watched a couple episodes of Untold Stories of the ER this weekend and a doctor made a statement that stuck with me. He said that although being a doctor is rewarding when you know you've helped somebody, the fact that so many young people die, some a very horrifying death, makes him question if there is a God. On the surface, it may appear from his statement that he does not have enough faith in God. But if we are honest with ourselves, I'm sure we all have questioned the existence of God too, especially in the midst of tragedy. In the doctor's line of work, I can see how it could be very hard sometimes to keep the faith. God chooses to extend some lives but not others. Why?


My grandfather taught me to never question God. He said, "That's the Lord's work, and we may never know why He does what He does. But He is God." I believe that even before we are born, God has assigned x-amount of days to our lives. We may grow to a nice, old age or be cut down in our youth. But God makes those decisions. I know it can be very hard to handle difficult circumstances in our lives, and I'm sure God understands when we lose a little faith. But don't forget, He does not make mistakes! On the Saturday before Christ was resurrected, His disciples were questioning if he was even real. They all believed He was dead and that was the end of that. If the ones closest to Christ can occasionally have doubts, don't you think God expects we will too? Every single one of us is closer to the day we get called home than we have ever been before. We must make what days we have left, count. Life is too short to be sad, dejected, heartbroken. I know it can be very hard sometimes. But don't give up! NEVER stop praying! And spend as much time with your friends and family as you can.


Psalm 90:12 says, "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."


Father, please help us to accept that You are Lord and that sometimes bad things happen to us. Help us to make the time we do have with our loved ones count for good. In Jesus name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed reading yours.

    From my heart,

    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may not always be questioning IF there is a God ... but for me sometimes I just straight out question God. Normally it is when I see children suffer and/or die. That one may never make sense to me. Thanks for being so transparent and sharing !

    ReplyDelete