Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One Pink Sock


Tuesdays and Thursdays are my long days, as I teach at the college at night after teaching all day at the high school. I got home last night around 9. I was pretty sleepy but decided to get a load of red clothes started in the washer. I did not notice the white sock that also went in with the load of reds. Needless to say, I now have one bright pink sock! So I either have to throw that sock away, or wash another white sock with reds so I can have a match. Since Pink is not my color, I think I will just toss that one "pretty" sock.


When we want to have a positive attitude, hanging around negative people is like being the lone white sock in a load of red clothes. Their negativeness will bleed over on us, causing us to also be negative. Like everybody else, I have a few co-workers with a very negative attitude. I don't think they are happy unless they are fussing about something. As I hang around them, I do find myself taking on their attitude. It is best to avoid them as much as possible, but sometimes you just can't. That's when we have to be extra careful not to copy their bad habits. Yes, we are all negative from time to time. But we need to limit this behavior as much as possible. As a Christian, what is there have a negative attitude about anyway? God's alive and Jesus saves! If a negative attitude can rub off on positive people, then a positive attitude can rub off on negative people. Negative or positive? It's completely our choice.


Philippians 4:12 says, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."


Father, help us to remain positive even when we have to encounter those people who are negative. Help us to bleed over on them, and not the other way around. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment